Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Red Riding Hood in Silhouette

Here is some experiments with silhouette, colour and shape with the same 'Little Red Riding Hood' image. Quite luckily, I happened to draw the two characters with quite distinctive and interesting silhouettes. The raygun in Little Red's hand looks particularly good, so I made it the focus of the piece. The wolf's hair and pipe also look quite excellent in silhouette.

I used radial design to emphasise the imaginary rays from the raygun. Also, as I didn't want to have a traditional forest background, I used shapes, which have an almost art deco feel to it.

Firstly, here is the image in black and white. The diagonal line is used to create a sense of separation between the two characters. I chose to have Little Red in black and the Wolf in white, which is opposite to what you would expect, since black is evil and white is pure. However, since Little Red wields a raygun, I don't think she's pure!


Next is my monochromatic silhouettes. I chose the colour red for obvious reasons. Of course Little Red had to be coloured Red! The colour scheme somehow reminds me of Japan- perhaps something to do with Samurai. The blood red behind the wolf, and his red shadow is symbolic of death- here, the wolf is the victim.

Next is my analogous composition. I used three hot colours- red, orange and yellow. I kept Little Red and the wolf in the same colours as the last composition. This time, they really strike a cutting silhouette against the background. The hot colours are reminiscent of the sun- especially with the radial imagery. This makes for an action-filled image, where it's suggested that the raygun lets off heat. Next is my complementary composition. The colours I chose are quite unexpected. They're almost tropical colours. Little Red is depicted in a hot colour- suggesting her aggressiveness, whereas the wolf is a cool blue. In this image, all the lines lead to the wolf- he is clearly the victim. Last is my triadic composition. I went a little bizarre with the colour choices. The combination of orange, green and purple clash quite a lot. I used the purple on Little Red to hint at a feminine side, although the amount of blue in the purple emasculates her also. The wolf is in orange as it's somewhat similar to the brown-coat of a wolf.



No comments:

Post a Comment